Tuesday 6 March 2007

What gas shortage?

I've been worrying for the last week or so that we were getting low on gas and there is a shortage here due to the strikes in the south which have disrupted supplies from India. A friend of ours ran out and found she was No 147 in the waiting list so had a week or more with no gas and only occasional electricity. I went to the shop a couple of times and the shutters were done so I thought the worst. But today the shop was open, I thought I understood the bloke to say that they had gas so I took the empty spare cylinder down only to discover that no they didn't but expected some this afternoon. Now being an eternal pessimist I took this to mean sometime/never only to get a pleasant surprise when Sheila rang to say there was a gas cylinder waiting on the doorstep when she got home – fantastic! Continuing my cynical thinking I expected to be charged a rip-off price but no, the delivery man called round just after I got home and only asked the proper price. Thank you Sunil at the Nepal Gas depot in our chowk, I hope your reward is India winning the cricket World Cup.

 

Other news today – Sheila's sister and brother-in-law arrived a couple of hours ago and we have just left them to settle in at the Hotel Manaslu round the corner from us before we take them down the road to eat. They have seen a bit of Kathmandu traffic on the way in from the airport and already Reg has asked whether there is such a thing as no-claims discount here. I explained that insurance is a rarity and I doubt whether anyone would qualify for NCD.

 

Cheers

Roshan  

No comments: