Wednesday 19 July 2006

Monsoon blues

Sheila's not here, the rain it is pouring and the mozzies are a-biting, I got dem monsoon blues.
 
This evening I thought it would be a good idea to wait until the rain slowed a bit before leaving work. This did keep me reasonably dry from the knees up but I hadn't planned for the narrow back roads between the office and home being quite so flooded. In one place there was a raging torrent coming down a side road and water was spouting up from drain (or were they sewer?) covers leaving me no option but to roll up my trousers and wade through. It's still pouring and I expect we'll get a power cut soon as the local sub-station gets flooded and trips out. Still the hydro-electric reservoirs need this rain if we are to avoid load-shedding next spring. So far so good with the house, no sign of damp or leaks - having the landlord living above us gives me confidence that are no leaks in the flat roof and the 6 inch deep gully running round the house has coped with even in the worst downpour. Better than my house in Delhi where the roof turned into a swimming pool which then drained down the inside stairs!
 
The really annoying thing is that my washing is on the roof and there is no point trying to bring it in. If I leave it out it should dry tomorrow, the question is whether I get back in time to take it in before the evening "shower". If not I might be recycling today's shirt on Friday.
 
As some of you may know, Sheila is back in the UK for a couple of weeks. She's in Felpham this week and I think back up to London with Josie next week. Hopefully she will come back loaded with goodies (and a couple more shirts).
 
Right, I'm off to cook my left over mashed potatoes and tinned tomatoes before settling down with a warm (I'm not joking, the laptop almost glows) spreadsheet that needs sorting before tomorrow. Happy hols for those about to go and fair winds for those doing Cowes Week.
 
Cheers
Roshan 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Stop moaning! Tasty treats on their way to you by the weekend...promise!

Love from a sweaty London town from all 3 of us having stuffed ourselves with fish and chips (but we did think of you as we did it!)

j.x