Tuesday 23 December 2008

Bike repair

I am now a long distance (3 -4 km which for me is long) bike commuter so it is getting more use than ever. Today, after going between offices on a particularly bumpy rough track (trying to keep up with a colleague on a motor bike!), a bolt fell off my chain guard. Not a major problem, I took the whole thing off and tucked it in my bag. I stopped off at our local bike repair shop and the guy had almost finished a quick and simple fix of it when BANG the front tyre exploded! No reason for it, but I was very happy it happened there not while I was riding it on a busy road. Given the noise, it was no great surprise that there was a 2 inch hole in the tyre with a matching pair on the inner tube. So new tube needed – but not so easy because all the shop had were some old ones (good recycling policy) none of which fitted. After explaining this to me (fortunately I understood a few words and the obvious signs) the guy hopped on his bike to get one from another shop. I did understand what he said when he got back "No electricity so the shop is closed. I will get a new tyre tomorrow". Now of course you would expect things to end at this stage but not in Nepal (or probably anywhere else apart from the "developed" world). An old tyre was cut up and stuck inside the burst one and the inner tube was patched with another recycled tube. I cycled the short distance home and it seemed OK so I'll ride it to work tomorrow hoping that it will last until I can get back to the repair shop in the evening. I'll let you know tomorrow whether this is a foolish decision resulting in a long walk pushing the bike.

Oh and the cost for about an hour's fiddling around – Rs20 (about 17 pence). I wonder whether the shop thinks that all bideshi's (foreigners) have exploding tyres? A friend literally blew his up at the same shop when inflating just a bit too much with a high pressure air hose.

I've posted it before but a long time ago so a reminder of what my faithful old push bike (christened Rosie by another vol who insisted on giving all bikes names - her's was called Barbie) looks like:

Cheers

Roshan

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

And the great thing about seeing the photo of the bike today is that I just bought us a "his and hers" set of pushbikes from the late 60's and presented them to migyoung tonight! Serendipity!!

David

Roshan Verghese said...

Note from Ed re previous comment: I inherited my bike from David's wife Migyoung. In fact I inherited David's bike first but it got stolen. In hindsight I'm happy with this because my/Migyoung's pink ladies bike is much easier to ride (slightly smaller) and much less likely to be stolen - if that's not tempting fate....

Roshan