Tuesday 27 May 2008

Life in England

It is now 2 weeks since we got back from Nepal. Still suffering culture shock from the complication (and cost!) of life here. I think the move the other way was much easier to cope with.

You may have read here a couple of months ago that Ben had persuaded me to join him in a sponsored abseil down Guy's Hospital Tower in London. Well, we did it on Saturday. Despite earlier forecasts, it was a glorious sunny day although pretty windy at the top of the tower. Apart from the first step over the edge, it was remarkably unscary - I was pleased to get to the bottom not because of nerves but because my arm was aching. Compared to other much shorter abseils I've done it was hard work due to the weight of rope hanging below you. Instead of just letting the rope zzzz through with an occasional pull down to brake, you had to heave up slack to make it run. Anyway I'm glad we did it, we raised some money (you can still donate at www.justgiving.com/roshandescends) for the Jennifer Trust for Spinal Muscular Atrophy and, particularly for Ben who is not a great fan of heights, laughed in the face of danger.





And yesterday I went sailing. In a brisk breeze, managed to stay upright and even beat a few of my less rusty competitors. Mind you I am now feeling aches and pains in muscles that had had little or no exercise in the last two and half years.

Whilst we are in the UK I don't plan to update the blog much, if at all, so its au revoir for a couple of months.

Cheers
Roshan

No comments: