Monday 15 May 2006

Sheila's last week before work

14.05.06

After nearly three months of the Pacific Guest House, Dhapakel village and settling in to our dhera, all of which even with curfews and bandas have been fun, I have had my final week before work.

After my initial visit, using the VSO jeep to meet the DEO and others at the District education office, Roshan and I returned to Bhaktapur last Sunday to see if I could find the office from the bus. A walk to Baghbazaar for bus (30 mins, I think I walk slower than Jeanna and take longer crossing roads) and 40 mins bus, we arrived in Bhaktapur and spent time (lots) organising passes (750 rupees) for entry into Durbar Square. For those who are confused here, the three cities Kathmandu, Patan and Bhaktapur rival one another with amazing mass of temples and Newari architecture. After a quick view of these buildings, mostly from a roof top café, I will have plenty of time for closer looks later, I re found the office. When I return on Tuesday, I know how to get there and back, and have some idea of time.

DEO Bhaktapur with windows broken earlier in the year

Monday spent with a friend; we spent hours wandering around the old streets textile shopping. I was going to say window shopping, but having quilt after quilt, all a bit heavy, and metre after metre of cloth spread out for us to enjoy was slightly more. Unfortunately for the shopkeepers, we both fell in love with some beautiful linens and cotton linen blends, (first time I've seen fabrics like that here) well out of our price range, so left without purchases but will return another time for something cheaper.

Tuesday was the day I was stuck in the rain in floods in Thamel!

Wednesday, Roshan's birthday I found a bakers with yummy bread, real uncut brown loaves. Sadly after over eating these I was not able to enjoy the beers and food later!

Thursday, I spent much of the morning trying to contact, phone, email, an Early Years centre I had been recommended to see. No luck so spent a very hot afternoon walking up and down the busy main street in south Kathmandu, narrow busy potholed pavements, trying to shade myself with an umbrella yet crane my neck to see the signs on top floor buildings. I gave up!

Friday walking through the chowk behind the house, I stopped to talk to some children and was invited in to see their school. 42 children between 4 and 14 yrs in a small non formal education setting Educ Nepal (www.educnepal.org.np/index.htm) most of whom were chatting to me in English far better than my Nepali.

Then to VSO office where through KTM Yellow Pages and direct enquiries, I tracked ECEC now in Patan not Kathmandu! I spent a really good afternoon talking real ECD and seeing some good resources and training. I was really taken with the persona dolls being made at the centre and see lots of possibilities for workshops re inclusion.

More on use of persona dolls www.blss.portsmouth.sch.uk/earlyears/eypdolls_tr.shtml#int

Love

Sheila

No comments: